Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Doing a PhD to study all you crazy traders

Pin It now!


feedwikipedia.info
Over the last couple of years I have been researching PhD programs with an eye toward taking that final step in my academic career (having already done an MBA). I’ve had a former professor of mine pushing me in this direction just about ever since I finished my undergraduate studies oh so many years ago. I resisted for many reasons, but a couple years back it occurred to me that one of my major excuses – lack of shareable experience to bring into the classroom – wasn’t really valid any longer. That started the process.
This week I was offered a PhD studentship by the business school at the University of Exeter in England and have accepted. I still have to be offered and accept admission by the university proper, but that is just a formality and should happen shortly. The business school wouldn’t offer me the funding if they weren’t going to accept me, after all.
That means I’ll be leaving my current position as a professional analyst, but it most certainly doesn’t mean I’ll be leaving the markets or trading. In fact, that will be the focus of my dissertation. My research proposal for admission was on the subject of individual retail forex trader profitability and performance. It fits into the general area of Behavioral Finance, which is basically the counter-point field to classic efficient markets theory.
I’m really looking forward to delving into the data (I’ll be using a big set of trader transactional and performance data for my studies) and the sort of results that come from it. As much as this will be academically oriented work, I see lots of opportunity for it to be applied in the practical arena.
Do you like Doctor of Trading or Trading Doctor better? :-)

Web Directories


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2012 Forex Tipo De Cambio - Designed by Forex Blogspot | ToS | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

About Us | Contact Us | Write For Us